There’s activity in the housing markets and every seller wants the home to sell fast and bring top dollar. To make it happen requires knowing how to spruce-up a home to make it irresistible, especially since so many homes are being seen through a virtual tour.
1. Mentally Say Good-Bye. “Let go” of the property and focus on the day when the place will no longer be yours.
2. De-Personalize. Pack photos and heirlooms so buyers can imagine their own photos on the walls.
3. De-Clutter! Donating or recycle unused and unwanted items. Pack books and knickknacks. Clean off counters.
4. Rearrange Closets and Cabinets. Buyers like to peak-in everywhere. If they see organization, it sends a message that the home is well cared for.
5. Rent a Storage Unit. Remove excess furniture. Take out extra leaves from the dining room table to make the room appear larger. Leave just enough furniture to showcase the room's purpose and plenty of room to move around.
6. Pack Your Favourites. Planning on taking window coverings, built-in appliances or fixtures with you? Remove them now. What buyers don’t see, they won't want.
7. Make Minor Repairs. Update hardware and fixtures. And add a fresh coat of neutral-colour paint.
8. Make the Home Sparkle! Wash windows inside and out. Re-caulk tubs, showers and sinks. Replace or polish chrome faucets and mirrors. Clean out the refrigerator. Hang up fresh towels.
9. Imagine You’re the Buyer. Look closely at every room and imagine what impression a buyer will get. Examine the furniture arrangement, be sure the window coverings hang level. Does the room have impact?
Remember, even if prospective buyers see the home online, you want it to make a positive impression.